Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Day #95



One of the best parts about being a not-very-worldly person is that I have the opportunity to learn lots of new things every day.  Something that's been a long process of learning for me (and is still a work in progress) is understanding that confidence is not arrogance, and humility is not insecurity. That might seem obvious to most, but it's been subtle for me. Extreme examples are clear, of course. It's those inconspicuous ones that still get me.

When I was 21, I got a Haida thunderbird tattoo on my lower leg. I was in Vancouver, BC, with a close friend. We had just driven across the country for the first time (first of five for me--two return trips, and one final one-way with Doug) in an old Chevette in which we had to stop at regular intervals to fill the oil and the transmission fluid, change three blown tires with around eitght unmatching bolts, and figure out the source and solution of a steaming radiator in the badlands while a storm brewed on the horizon.

Anyway, the tattoo has it's wings close to it's body. The tattoo artist told me it was suppose to symbolize humility and strength. I liked that, so I chose it. So, this humility and confidence thing has been something I've been thinking about and working on for a long time. One would think I'd have made more progress by now. But I'm learning. I'm learning! And learning makes me happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment